Life as an Avocado

  This term at school has been quite a different one. Due to the Covid-19 pandemic we were forced to isolate leading to our school model to be switched online. Meaning all out classes are now in an online model. It has been quite a difficult transition but we have made it work, I mean there's no way we could miss this term when it's all about food! (something every human needs). In my humanities class, Food for thought we have dug deep into the roots and origins of food and humans. We have read about the co evolution of corn and humans which was very interesting. We have also been able to go on online versions of our Field experiences such as tasting coffee from Metropolis Coffee and learning about it's origins and we have even gone through an online foraging experience with a professional forager. As part of this class we were also given assignments like making our own family tree listing everyone's  favorite food Unfortunately due to my restricted contact with my family I was made to use only what I already knew about them, which wasn't very much. This kind of lead to an underwhelming family tree but it still works :)!

As part of our first Action Project we were asked to pick one ingredient out of any recipe that was meaningful to us and become that ingredient. We were to tell it's story as a whole and incorporate how it was in a way also entangled with our own real life. When this assignments was given to us I immediately knew which ingredient from pozole (a recipe special to my family) I wanted to become that ingredient being, Avocado. And so my journey into giving avocado a voice and a persona to tell it's story began! So after much research and image look up I ended up making a video telling The Story of Avocado. Enjoy!





Script:


Welcome Folks to this storytelling time hosted drumbull please…… by none other than the one who made not only pozole better but millennials toast... Avocado!!!! *clapping in background*





Avocado: Hello humans, I am avocado and I am here to tell you of my beautiful, heart breaking, tear bringing, laughter filled, Joy summoning, journey through this world. My story starts in what is now known as modern day Mexico. South to be exact in a tiny place called Tehuacan Valley. I hanged from a tree peacefully waiting to be discovered by humans and fill their stomachs with my nutrients. Quick side note but Did you know I provide 20 different types of nutrients? Even I didn’t know until scientists cut me open and studied my contents, yes it was as weird as it sounds. Anyways where were we? Oh yes my origin. On an ordinary day I believe Monday. Or maybe a tuesday? But then again it could have very much been a wednesday. Well it doesn’t matter the point is I was discovered! By none other than the great Aztec civilization, it was an honor. As soon as they discovered me they could not have enough. They soon started to domesticate me, somewhere around 4000- 2800 BC. Soon it was not only the Aztecs consuming me but other grand civilizations like the Mayans, and soon all of Central and South America knew of my greatness. They love me so much that evidence “indicates that [I] held a spiritual significance in some Mesoamerican cultures.” Man those were my glory days! I was a symbol of fertility and love to the Aztec! I mean can you believe that? Those were my prime years how I wish I could go back in time.





Random Person: Wait but Avocado if it was so great there why did you move to other places around the world?





Avocado: Ah yes. I remember now. I was KIDNAPPED! It was around the 16th century when some strange people calling themselves “Conquistadors” came and took me from my homeland. Not only that but they did my friends the Aztecs dirty by betraying them and killing them.. But that's a story for another time. Anyways on my way I was to a place called “Spain”, I sailed across the ocean and let me tell you it was nothing luxurious. When I arrived I was immediately planted and harvested by the people of Spain but I was not adored the same way which saddened me. Alas it seems the Spaniards kidnapping me wasn’t so bad as at least I got to spread my name across all of Europe. One of the first countries Spain traded me with was England. And so began my domination across Europe.





Random Person again: But Avocado if you were taken to Europe how did you end up back here and in North America?





Avocado: Well you see I was not completely taken from Latin America. Eventually the latin people showed me to the new people that had moved in next door up in North America. My first tree planted in North American was in 1833 in the state of Florida. Soon I also spread to two other states known as Hawaii and California. Sadly I was not popular for quite a while. The American people had not yet discovered my amazing potential. Then came 1955. Yes, that was a great year for me as I finally started becoming popular among the population. And about half a century later people labeling themselves “millennials' ' realized if they put me on toast it would be considered extra healthy and this breakthrough sent my popularity through the roofs soon I was in almost every household. Crazy huh?





Random Person Once again: Wow thats Amazing I can’t believe they hadn’t realized that until quite some time later!





Avocado: I am surprised as well. Although back in what is now Mexico I was popular from the start. The avocado culture had not died down. They used me for everything from taco toppings to pozole toppings now they know how to use me. And a particular family from Mexico back in the United States known as the Garcia-Reyes family uses me at every family reunion. I am sold to them by a grocery store called “Cermak Fresh Market” who gets me from a company called Avocados From Mexico, who gets me from guess where? Mexico! Were you surprised? ME neither I think it's in the name. It is a crazy cycle in a way and I remind this family of home and comfort them. I am honored to always complete their pozole. The mother once said “Pozole without avocado is not a complete pozole” and this made me feel something, it made me feel special. So thank you to the Garcia- Reyes Family and Families across the world who include me in such a sacred time such as dinner. I will forever be grateful.





Random person ONCE AGAIN: *tear coming down cheek* Wow Avocado your story is indeed an interesting one.





Avocado: Yes indeed. Well unfortunately it seems my time here is done folks. Thank you for joining us and accompanying us through this journey. I will see you next time you decide to pick me up at the grocery store. I’ll see the Garcia-Reyes family next family reunion when this whole pandemic is over. And I’ll see YOU millennials tomorrow morning when you post me on instagram *wink* . Adios Amigos hasta luego.

Comments

Popular Posts