Which Chicago do you live in?

 As this fall school term comes to a close we look back on everything we learned in our rhetoric class and put it into the form of our final Action Project. To include logos, ethos, and pathos was almost necessary and originality in thought and creativeness was needed for this project. We needed to make our own art piece, an art piece that spoke to a topic that captured our passion and interest, we didn't have to be an expert but we did have to use our voice and speak. For this project I chose the topic of homelessness in Chicago. I made a collage as I felt this was the best way I could speak on this topic. Below is my final product, hope you enjoy!



Artist: AAG

Occupation: A 16 year old student who realized how messed up the world is (also a part time gamer)
Art piece: 2021, Which Chicago do you live in?, Photography Collage

Homelessness is a problem worldwide, Chicago is no exception. I decided to address this growing problem through my artwork because it seems not many people know how big of a problem it is. I’ve seen the tendencies to ignore those who beg in the city, who beg for some change for a meal, I will admit I have been guilty of this which is why this is something I decided was important to talk about. Not as a gesture of apology and pity but as an acknowledgment to those who struggle with homelesness. I see you and I want to help, I’ve seen the struggles, seen the tears, and felt the heartbreak through your eyes. Now I want to show this reality to my fellow Chicagoans, show them what they refuse to see at times.

Let me start with some simple facts. In 2019 an estimated 58,273 people suffered some degree of homelessness whether it was having to ask to stay at others houses or fully living on the streets. Around 12,599 of them were 18-24 years old, doubling up in crowded apartments due to housing loss problems. During the 2019-20 year around 11% of Chicago students were staying in a shelter. This was all before the Covid-19 pandemic meaning the conditions were different with an assumption that they worsened during the pandemic. In the future we can predict the results with an incline in house insecurity and complete homlessness. Looking at just statistics may not fully put it into perspective but it still doesn't change the fact that thousands of people have to worry where to sleep, how they're gonna eat, where to shower, how to keep warm, where to get clean water, and many other basic needs we take for granted. I wanted my artwork to portray and emphasize how privileged most of us are to have a place to call home where lack of food isn't on most people’s mind. I wanted my artwork to show two sides of Chicago, the normal side, and the side people tend to ignore or walk around like it isn’t a problem.

In order to try and show these two sides of Chicago I decided to make a photography collage. I believed a collage would perfectly capture the craziness of the city but in the details paint a picture of a two-sided Chicago. A place where people could be drinking a $6 cup of coffee but others can’t find afford to drink clean water. I decided to connect these two sides with Chicago Public Transit (CTA) trains since they are a place where everyone comes together from the rich to the homeless. People from all parts of the city come together on the train. On the left we have the side of Chicago which most of us know, it’s filled with houses we call home and nice buildings we enjoy looking at. On the other side we have a neglected side of Chicago, the side which most tend to ignore when we don’t like realizing that if our lives had been different we also wouldn’t have a place to call home. But I believe this realization is one of the most human things we could do, acknowledging that no one deserves to be treated badly and ignored. They deserve to have their stories heard and a warm plate of food. Any kind of help goes a long way. That is the purpose of this art, invoke others to help out, to care, to hear those who feel they have no voice and tell them we are here to help.

 
Source:

“Estimate of Homeless People in Chicago.” Chicago Coalition for the Homeless, 20 Aug. 2021, https://www.chicagohomeless.org/estimate-of-homeless-people-in-chicago/.

Comments

Popular Posts