They Grow Up So Fast!

    Around January of 2023 I began volunteering at the Covenant Presbyterian Church of Chicago. While volunteering at Covenant I helped out in the nursery. The majority of the time I was placed in charge of the 0-4 year old age group. Some infants were just learning how to walk and talk while other toddlers would happily blabber about their favorite toys, parks, and colors while also chasing one another. Although I only volunteered for about four months, it was a fulfilling experience watching the young ones grow quickly. On my last day one of the kids I had known since the beginning began to talk for the first time! It was exciting seeing her growth from barely being able to walk, to walking around the room and trying her best to talk about her surroundings. It was not only a fulfilling experience but also an educational and eye-opening one. I am a non-denominational Christian, meaning attending a Presbyterian church was a completely new experience for me. I learned the different way the sermons are structured, I learned how to sign hymns, and I learned about the similarities between the Presbyterian denomination and the Christianity that I practice. And of course I learned practical caretaking skills such as changing diapers, how to feed infants and toddlers, how to hold a babies properly, how to deescalate situations that may make the kids emotionally stressed, and how to access the likes and dislikes of each of the children. I greatly enjoyed my time at Covenant Presbyterian and hope to volunteer again some time in the future. Thank you for reading. 

Covenant Presbyterian Church of Chicago, Map Quest, 2023 


Comments

Popular Posts